I bought my first heart rate monitor in high school. The ability to view HR in real-time then later analyze the data blew my mind. I was hooked. As I went through college then graduate school, exercise technology continued to improve.
HR, GPS, then finally power. It all became more accurate, mobile, and affordable. Technology previously found in exercise physiology labs was available to athletes training in the real world. Data wasn’t boring, it was thrilling.
Coupled with this love for data was my life-long passion for teaching. Youth sport camps, volunteer coaching roles, then a position after college as a credentialed high school PE teacher and basketball coach.
Teaching high school students will remain one of the greatest experiences of my life. For all the data-driven educational theory I took in college, I found nothing more powerful at generating change than a trusting relationship with a student.
Data and science can be impactful tools for progress, but they pale in comparison to the knowledge that a coach is rooting for you and investing in your success. These early experiences in the classroom shaped much of who I am as a coach today.
With a background in education and a love for data, I starting my cycling coaching company Data Driven Athlete in 2010 based on these principles.
- An understanding of Exercise Science empowers a coach to make better training decisions.
- Athletes get better when they use data to inform training decisions on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis.
- A coaching relationship built on trust is more impactful than the perfect training plan. We are always humans first and athletes second.
As my coaching business has grown these are still my guiding principles. Science, data, and relationships built on trust. These principles go hand in hand, giving cyclists the best chance to achieve their goals while forging a new path of self discovery.
Are you interested in learning more about Data Driven Athlete? Please contact us, we would love to hear from you!
Cycling Coaching Qualifications:
- Master of Science degree in Kinesiology (Exercise Science) from California State University Sacramento
- USA Cycling Certified Level 1 Coach
- Certified Sports Nutritionist (CISSN) from the International Society of Sports Nutrition
Data Driven Athlete
Get to know us better with these short videos