DDA Live: The Taper
In our first episode of DDA live we covered how to use the training taper to dial in your race day performance. If you’re interested in the basics here are a few guidelines to follow in the period leading up to your event.
- Reduce your training volume by about 50%.
- Maintain training frequency
- Maintain training intensity
- Train a ton? Taper longer (2 weeks). Don’t train much? Taper shorter (1 week).
If you want to check out the full presentation you can watch the first episode of DDA live over at our website. Have questions about what we covered? Join the discussion on our next live episode!
Training In The Heat: How To Do It Better
This coming Tuesday, June 13th, at 6:15AM PST we’ll be hosting our second episode of DDA live where we’ll discuss a simple system for training smarter in the heat. Here are a few highlights.
- Hydration: Start your ride fully hydrated, aim to keep fluid losses to <2%, and opt for a sports drink to replace electrolyte losses.
- Acclimatization: It takes 7-14 days to fully acclimate to heat. Ride in the heat every three days or you’ll lose adaptations.
- Variety: Plan high intensity workouts for the cool of the morning, save moderate intensity rides for hotter times of the day. Live hot, train cool.
If you have any questions about training in the heat or other topics of interest bring them to the show! Head directly to the Facebook LiveStream by clicking here. Hope to see you there!
Data Driven Athlete